Thursday, January 21, 2016

Today is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Squirrels are part of our urban landscape and just like birds, they are not only important in our ecosystem but super fun to watch! The infant squirrels who years ago fell out of a very tall tree into my back yard may or not still be around  (I cannot tell them apart). Those four squirrels had been bottle fed for a month by a licensed wildlife rehab center and while not exactly tame, they weren't afraid of humans. I felt some obligation to feed them during the fall and winter months and continue to do so. So now all the squirrels living in my garden share a bowl of sunflower seeds and peanuts in the colder months and help themselves to whatever fruit and vegetables I attempt to grow. They prefer zucchini blossoms to the actual zucchini so I never have to worry about a glut of giant zucchinis like a lot of gardeners, or even having any squash actually. Oh well, the kitties and I think squirrels are cute and enjoy having them around so I can buy zucchini at the farmer's market if I want...



No comments:

Post a Comment